Insurance FAQs

Insurance FAQ

If my home is flooded, won’t federal disaster assistance pay for my damages?

Not necessarily. Federal disaster assistance typically comes in the form of a low interest loan to help cover flood damage, not compensation for your losses. Even then, those loans are only available if the president formally declares a disaster and must be repaid along with any existing mortgage.

Does my homeowner’s policy cover flooding?

Flood damage is typically not a part of a homeowners insurance policy.

What is Farm Rescue?

Farm Rescue provides planting and harvesting assistance to farm families in North Dakota, South Dakota, western Minnesota and eastern Montana that have experienced a major illness, injury or natural disaster. Farm Rescue doesn’t distribute funds, we simply get the work done for farm families experiencing major illness, injury or natural disaster.

Ihry Insurance is a proud sponsor of the Farm Rescue program. For more information, visit

Can you insure my winter home in Arizona?

Yes, we can insure most homes in Arizona, whether it’s a frame structure or manufactured home.

What is umbrella insurance?

Umbrella insurance is designed to give one added liability protection above and beyond the limits on homeowners, auto and watercraft personal insurance policies. With an umbrella policy, depending on the insurance company, one can add an additional 1-5 million in liability protection. This protection is designed to “kick-in” when the liability on the other current policies has been executed.

Will my rate be affected if I file a minor car accident that wasn’t my fault?

It can, depending on the company. Some companies give claim-free discounts, so even if it’s not your fault, a not-at-fault accident can affect your rates. Each company is different which makes insuring your vehicles through and independent insurance agency better. If one company doesn’t work out, we may have another company that might not increase your rates due to a not-at-fault accident.

Is jewelry and other personal items fully covered under my homeowners policy?

Jewelry is typically covered under the homeowners or renters insurance policy, however there may be limitations to the coverage depending on what type of claim you have. It’s best to check out your current policy and see what your coverages are. If you need additional coverage, we suggest you get an appraisal and schedule your better jewelry as a rider on your home or renters insurance. You are giving it broader coverage and many times without a deductible.

What types of insurance are there?

You can buy insurance for your home, personal property in your apartment, cars, recreational vehicles, campers and more! We can insure most of the property that you may buy or own whether it has it’s own policy or a rider on a current policy. We’d be happy to discuss this further if you have any questions or need a quote.

What is covered by my homeowners insurance policy?

A typical homeowners policy is going to insure your home, other structures, personal property, loss of use, personal liability and premises medical payments.

What should I do to keep my business insurance expenditures low?

We work very closely with our companies and our clients to always help reduce your exposure and losses. Many of our company’s have loss control departments that will make annual visits to our clients place of business to help them with loss control. Maintaining a higher deductible will also reduce your costs.

Why is life insurance important?

A life insurance policy is one of the most important policies to buy. In the event of a death, this is what will help provide financial security to your family and allow them to live comfortably if you should die. It’s also important if you have any outstanding debt that you may not want to leave to your family or heirs. People often also purchase life insurance to fund college educations if a death occurs early to a parent or loved one. We are doing some very exciting things with business’s and farmers also to help with estate issues.

Do I need a small business insurance plan?

We always recommend having a business insurance plan regardless of your type of operation. In some cases it is mandatory required by the state you are domiciled in.

What is cover under my crop insurance?

Although crop insurance policies differ, most insure against many of the same perils including, but not limited too drought, excess moisture, wind and hail. Revenue protection policies cover the combination of yield loss and price movement, while Yield protection policies cover yield loss at a predetermined price. Ihry Insurance agents will use many tools to help decide which policy is right for each producer.

Do you insure livestock?

Yes! We can insure all types of livestock with various perils to insure against.

Do I need workers compensation business insurance?

Depending on the state you live in and the type of operation you have, you may or may not need it. Typically if you have employee’s, you should definitely provide workers compensation insurance.

How do I divide up my different farms?

Deciding on the correct division or combination of your farms or farming entities can involve several factors, such as location, share, land differences, landlords, yields, etc. It is always best to consult with you agent to see which factors or combinations will benefit you the most.

Does crop insurance cover crops in the event of natural disasters?

Yes! Although definitions of “Natural Disasters” can vary, most disasters would be considered to have coverage including flooding and severe drought.

Who do I contact to make a claim?

We’d love it if you call one of our offices. We can help you file a claim with the insurance company and walk you through the steps of what to expect at the time of a loss. This is part of the service we provide for our customers.